Thursday, July 31, 2014

Family



Family, Friends and Neighbors,
Four weeks have passed since the groundbreaking ceremony, and we are officially seeing signs of progress at our new home on Krocks Road in Allentown. Walking around the property yesterday afternoon, I was so excited to see the hard work of my entire family coming together at the location of our new home. I feel so blessed to have so many loving and supportive people in my life, and would like to spend some time reflecting on what the word family means in my life.

In my 26 years as a licensed funeral director at the Stephens Funeral Home, I have had the privilege of serving many families, each unique in their own way. Some families laugh, some families cry, some live within the same neighborhood, others are spread across the country or the world.  Each family is different, with its unique quirks, dynamics and personalities; yet, the love, care and support I have the opportunity to witness on a daily basis represents the core of what it means, and should mean, to be part of a family. Desmond Tutu, recipient of the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize, once wrote, “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” A family is not simply a means of organization, but a collection of people who all want to see each other make the most out of all of the great opportunities in life, to achieve their dreams in every way possible. Families do not always agree, and may not always like each other, but, at the end of the day, you can always depend on them to pick you up when you feel down, celebrate your accomplishments and provide the love and support you need to live the life you have always imagined. I have been blessed with the gift of an unbelievable family, not just to love and care for personally, but to work and serve with professionally.

From an early age, my parents spent time teaching Lisa, Jenn and myself the values that, as a member of our family, I could be expected to uphold. To be honest and compassionate, hard working and humble, to always put the needs of others first, and that there was no request too large or small from a friend, among countless others. These values were more than simply constraints to operate within, they were characteristics to exemplify, not just within our house and in our relations with each other, but as we stepped into our communities and the world. Lisa, Jenn and I now have families of our own, and have sought to impart these same values to our children, encouraging them to follow their passions into uncharted territory, but always remember where they came from and the manner in which they can be expected to carry themselves.

My older sister Lisa and her husband Rodney, whom I am proud to call my brother-in-law as well as co-worker, have three fantastic boys who I feel privileged to call my nephews. Jordan currently lives in Los Angeles as an aspiring animator, and has proven time and time again that hard work, courage, and character can propel you in the direction of your dreams. Griffin is a rising junior at the University of Pittsburgh and recently returned from a study abroad experience in Augsburg, Germany, where his intelligence and humility demonstrated how much can be accomplished when we are willing to learn about other peoples and cultures. Logan is a rising senior at Southern Lehigh High School and a great soccer player, not because he was a child prodigy, but because he works hard, is constantly learning, and is driven to be the best he can be each and every day.  My younger sister Jenn and her husband Jimmy live in Denver, Colorado with their two boys. This summer I was lucky enough to visit my sister, and was so proud to see, in a place so far away, I felt at home with the people I love. Wyatt is entering 7th grade, is incredibly intelligent, curious and interested in learning all he can about the world. River is entering 4th grade, and absolutely loves trying new things, something I think we could all do a little more in our own lives. 

My wife, Eva, and I have five incredible children who have all chosen different paths for themselves, but work hard to exemplify the values we have instilled in them in their daily activities. Taylor graduated with honors from the College of William & Mary this past May, and has chosen to move home to help me achieve my dream of expanding on the tradition, value and compassion we currently offer to better serve our families in the future. Naomi currently works at a day care facility in Breineigsville, and has developed an incredible love for children that makes me proud almost daily. Nate is currently living in Palma, Spain and is working as a deck hand on a mega-yacht. While Nate typically chooses the path least travelled, his hard work, dedication and compassion for others serves as daily inspiration to me in my own life. Lydia is a rising junior at Southern Lehigh High School, and, despite the recent obstacles she has faced in life, will always be loved, supported and cared for by her family. Riley is currently a rising 8th grader at Southern Lehigh Middle School, has an absolutely contagious smile, and reminds me every day that it is the simple joys, not the most monumental occasions, that bring the greatest happiness in life.

It is in looking at the lives of all the members of my family, the struggles, accomplishments, challenges and successes that inspire me to wake up every morning and serve the members of my community to the absolute best of my ability. I take pride, and find encouragement, seeing the values and characteristics they live out each and every day, and how they have used these values to pursue their dreams. I truly believe that family is the glue that binds our world together, whether we laugh or cry, live together or across the globe, are related by blood or simply by common purpose, we can have a positive impact on the lives of others. I feel blessed to have the opportunity for my family to continue to serve yours during their time of greatest need, doing so in a brand new facility that fosters love, support, care and compassion. It is through my family and yours, and the bonds we build, that we can truly express what it means to live, to love, to laugh and cry, and ultimately make a difference in the lives of those we care most about.

From a proud son, brother, husband, father, uncle and friend,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment